Sunday, April 18, 2010

JUMP TOMORROW * FINDING ROSA

Jump Tomorrow - Is there such thing as the perfect movie? If so, for me, this is a contender. I spotted it on the Sundance Channel, but it looks as though you can find the DVD. It's a love story and a buddy movie, it has a road trip, it's quite timeless, and the music is good. I hope this movie will make you as happy as it made me. Very soon into the movie, you'll know what it means to Jump Tomorrow.


Finding Rosa by Caterina Edwards "A Mother with Alzheimer's, a Daughter in Search of the Past" - My friend Susan passed on this Amazon Vine book to me. This non-fiction account introduced me to a land called Istria. It's a triangular peninsula on the northwest coast of Croatia, and over the years it's been occupied by different countries and regimes. Rosa grew up in a place that doesn't exist anymore, much the way my grandparents did. This of course, makes the search all the more difficult. Searching for lives that have been erased is a frustrating and upsetting task. Caterina remembered visiting Istria as a child, so she had first hand memories of the land which served to enrich her search and to make it just a little bit easier. Top it all off with Rosa's loss of memory, and Rosa's difficult possibly mentally ill personality, and you've got a story. I enjoyed reading about the way Caterina went about her search, but much of her writing is repetitive and documentary-like. I would have loved a section with pictures of Rosa and her family, and a few pictures of Istria, then and now. There is a map at the beginning of the book which serves to keep the reader in place. Here's a map. Croatia is the yellow country, and Istria is that little triangle right in the middle of the map.

No comments: