Wednesday, January 9, 2013

ARGO * HYDE PARK ON THE HUDSON

I'm on another movie bender.  I haven't done this in years, but every so often I need to escape, and seeing a movie or two every day is a way to briefly forget about cold weather, snow, getting my life together and being present.  I mean, who wants to be present and live in the moment ALL THE TIME?  Most of us would be pretty bored.  It's nice to go and live in someone else's moment for a couple of hours.  Every day.  This is also a good way to make the awards shows more meaningful if that's not a comical statement.  Which it is.  Come on folks, these are movies.  Without further ado, I'd advise seeing

Argo - which you already knew you had to do.  You have a bit of an idea that it's about rescuing hostages from Iran, but you didn't know that there were two groups of hostages, and this movie is about the group that got away so to speak.  It's based on a true story, and it moves quickly, there is very little violence per se, and you'll  come away thinking you saw a good movie.  Best picture?  I don't know yet.  

           Hyde Park on the Hudson - Bill Murray has become one of those actors you just have to watch, and in this case, he portrays Franklin Delano Roosevelt with aplomb.   I enjoyed seeing how he lived, how he related in general to those around him, and how he entertained the King and Queen of England at a crossroads in history.  I was left cold about the story that is the main reason for the movie.  Laura Linney didn't deliver for me, and for that reason, this can wait until you can see it for free.  Don't have to shlep to the theater, but if you see it at the redbox or library,  and there is nothing else appealing, treat yourself to some Bill Murray.  Plus the portrayal of Eleanor is pretty nutty.  I wonder if she really was such a combination of clueless and wimpy.  I'd thought of her as strong in body and personality.  I think I have some reading to do.... 

No comments: