Monday, November 28, 2011

THE HOUSEKEEPER AND THE PROFESSOR


The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa - I know, I know....how can I be finishing books when I have so much to do to get ready for my jewelry sale on Thursday night? This book reads so effortlessly, so kindly, so intriguingly, that I couldn't resist the siren's call to turn its pages. The housekeeper tells her story simply and namelessly, yet she gives you every detail that you need to have a perfect understanding of the unique situation in which she works every day. It's told in the elegant style of Japanese authors, and it incorporates the universality of the world of numbers as experienced by the brilliant math professor and then the humble housekeeper and her son. There is much to enjoy, ponder and think about once you finish the book, so you get the journey and then the memory. I've just told you absolutely nothing about this story, but you know you have to read it, right? It's so good that I've just reserved Yoko Ogawa's other two books.


No comments: