Sunday, February 13, 2011

CUTTING FOR STONE

Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese - What a story~ It's about Africa and surgeons, and twins, and India and family, and love, and personalities, and immigrants, and family secrets and it sprawls, even though it's the small story of one person's life. As the narrator says, though, the stories of the others become part of our story because without those people and their stories, we wouldn't be here. I just finished it this morning and even went back to the beginning to catch the foreshadowing of events that were later explained. I'll be thinking about this book for a long time. I'm not sure that I can write any more without giving something away. This is a book that you want to go into with no clue as to what it will be about. I wondered at the title, Cutting For Stone, and right away I guessed at its meaning, and although I was close, the real meaning came almost at the end of the book.

I've not accomplished a whole lot on the sewing/crafting/organizing fronts. There has been a lot to do this week outside our home, and the little tasks took a lot of time. Also logged more time on the telephone than usual, and it all adds up. Nothing got any worse though, so that's a new kind of progress, and I'll take it.

No comments: