Monday, November 2, 2009

SAY YOU'RE ONE OF THEM * CALENDAR GIRL * FLORIDA

I've just returned from Florida where I spent a few days visiting my Auntie Kaye. She lives with Angel, her Bichon Frise, and has a great group of friends and neighbors who I consider my friends as well. We enjoyed two girls' nights out....one at Noce where we listened to a musician play what the girls called "motown" but what was really a nice mix of easy listening and reggae tunes. I loved the music, but by the time the singer upped the tempo a bit with Sir Duke, auntie Kaye was finished with motown. She calls Sinatra motown. The next night we ate a delicious meal at Brio, known as Bravo in some parts of the country. I had my favorite mushroom ravioli al forno, which I think I've pictured in this blog before. I went to the pool every day, and read two books. Ate lots of marshmallow sundaes with chocolate ice cream, and came home rested and motivated to do stuff. Here's Angel on resting on the new dog bed I found for her:


Say You're One of Them by Uwem Akpan - is an incredible book of stories of modern day troubled Africa. It's composed of 4 separate stories, and I couldn't put it down. The last story will be with me forever. It personifies the very worst of what men will do to each other. This was an Oprah recommendation, and I hope I haven't missed the follow up show about the book. It might have been on while I was away. It's beautifully and powerfully written.

Calendar Girl by Naome Neale was the perfect easy anecdote for Say You're One of Them. It's a sweet not sugary story about a low key New York 29 year old making her way in the world. We follow her through a year in her life, working temporary jobs and living in the strangest space you can imagine.
A great little light vacation read. Now I can get back to my serious reading again!


Dinner at Brio with Barbara, Dianne, Auntie Kaye and Stephanie.

No comments: