Monday, August 17, 2009

WHATEVER WORKS

Brilliant
For all you Woody Allen and Larry David fans, there's a new movie in town. It's got the un-Woody title of
Whatever Works, and it's about all the things I told my son it might be about as we drove over to the Wilmette Theatre this aftenoon and he asked what it was about. I like to know nothing more than the title and that certain friends loved a movie before seeing it, so I explained that Woody Allen was originally a stand-up comic who I saw in Las Vegas at Caesar's Palace (I'm pretty sure) when I was 10 years old. I remember that he was really funny. The show was free, but you had to buy dinner for everyone at the table, so my dad was on the hook for three steak dinners for his hotdog-eating young family. Woody was a small bespeckled (probably very young) guy with a soft voice. The headliner at the show that night was the dancer George Chakiris, who had starred in West Side Story. We were there because George was greek and so were we, and because my dad loved comedians. After the show my dad wangled our way backstage to meet our fellow countryman. He couldn't have been nicer and signed a few menus that my mom probably still has, but that I haven't seen in years. But I digress.
I told Peter that a Woody Allen movie was usually funny and witty, but not always a comedy. Larry David was sure to make this one enjoyable for us no matter what the story which would maybe be about relationships or a romance, and most likely be set in New York City.
Brilliant
Woody:

George:

No comments: