Monday, August 17, 2009

MAIDEN VOYAGE

I'm so tired right now.
When I was younger I had the wanderlust and loved to travel. By travel I mean going to new places and walking around cities and exploring countries and meeting new people and seeing what was what here and there. Especially places with beaches and water.
After years of marriage and a teenage son who doesn't love to travel, I have no idea whether I have the wanderlust anymore. Until I talk to a fellow luster, especially one who is really seeing the world. Like my friend's daughter who's been to countries and continents, beaches and villages for the past few years. She alights in our town, like a beautiful butterfly, a couple of times a year, and if I'm lucky I get to see and chat with her and hear about her adventures. Last time she was in town, she gave me a book to read.
The reason I'm so tired is that for the last few days and nights I've been
circumnavigating the globe singlehandedly on a 26 foot sailboat with the author of

Maiden Voyage - Tania Aebi wrote the book with Bernadette Brennan of Cruising World Magazine, about Tania's 1985-1987 around the world adventure. Tanya left when she was 17, and returned at age 20, and grew up in a million ways on that amazing voyage. She saw the most beautiful places in the world while experiencing loneliness, companionship, love, days-long ocean storms, close calls, boating disasters and more.
I couldn't put the book down. Tanya is engaging, descriptive, serious and real. But, would I do it? No. I'm
way to frightened of the ocean storms. When I return the book to my friend's daughter, I'm going to include a weatherbeaten copy of The Drifters by James Michener. This is one of my favorite books ever, and one I've read over and over again.

STORY OF THE WEATHERBEATEN COPY OF The Drifters. First you have to know that I have a new garage saling friend, Debby. We met years ago because of beading, but recently re-connected at the home of our mutual friend, Barbara, who I used to go saling with a long time ago. Barbara joins us on our adventures around the north shore, and on Saturday morning I met them at the annual bead garage sale, (yes, there are annual themed garage sales out there, but if you want to
know more, you'll have to jump in and be serious because teaching someone this would take the years of experience that one brings to the search for necessary and unecessary treasure hunting) and I said,
"I'm looking for a couple of books; I want to find Maiden Voyage to share with sailors, and The Drifters for the person who leant me Maiden Voyage". So after the sale with the wonderful ladies who happened to have a brand new hot air popcorn popper for me (inside the house-there were some intense minutes of suspense to see if it could be sold) for our other mutual friend Nancy's daughter, we were wandering through a neighborhood garage sale and there was The Drifters.
Weatherbeaten and well loved and well read by another young woman who wants to see the world. We agreed on 25 cents for this treasure, which could maybe buy her something in an exotic village somewhere on another continent. Or right here in the exotic north shore at another garage sale. So one down and one to go. What are the chances you ask? Well, they're pretty good actually. Like the philosophy goes....if you put it out there to the world, the world responds. Or like my mom says "if you ask you get, if you don't ask, you don't get."
Nothing to do With Anything

My copy of The Drifters looks like the one at the top of today's blog.
The one I bought the other day looks like this only the cover is pink:


No comments: