Friday, August 14, 2009

THE HANGOVER * LITTLE BEE * I LOVE YOU, MISS HUDDLESTON

I was In Detroit last weekend and fell behind on everything including my blog, but here I am, back and ready to write. Peter was bored as he always is unless he's playing WOW or with friends, and wanted to see The Hangover again. Being the good mom who loves a funny movie, I complied and we went to the Fairlane Town Center movies near my childhood home. I was so happy to see that it's a great little multiplex, and that we pretty much had the show to ourselves.
The Hangover is funny, clever, suspenseful, hilarious, not too raunchy considering, and keeps you guessing throughout. It's a story about Stu and Phil and Doug and Alan. Stu and Phil take Doug to Las Vegas for a bachelor weekend a few days before Doug's wedding to Alan's sister. Although Alan isn't a part of their little group, they include him as Doug's brother in law to be. After the first night in Vegas, Stu, Phil and Alan wake up in their villa suite at Caesar's to a baby, a chicken, and a tiger in the room. The groom is missing, and they can't remember one thing following their first toast to the groom the night before.
If you want to laugh, this is your movie.

Little Bee by Chris Cleave - Excellent, wonderful, beautiful and so as not to give anything away, I'll quote the flyleaf: "This is the story of two women. Their lives collide one....day....Two years later they meet again...." It's a story about the world. And waht about the cover art? I know that you will fall in love with Little Bee. This is a story that will stay with you for a long time.
Just read it.

I Love You Miss Huddleston by Phillip Gulley - This memoir collection of first person short stories center on growing up in an Indiana town in the 1970s. Philip Gulley is an engaging teller of tales, with the craziest little edge of humor. I found it to be tremendously enjoyable and a quick little summer read.

No comments: