Thursday, June 18, 2009

MY LATEST GRIEVANCE * HAROLD & KUMAR ESCAPE


My Latest Grievance by Elinor Lipman is a very readable story taking place on the campus of a small womens' college in Boston in the late 1970s. The narrator is Frederika, a girl who's grown up on campus, living with her houseparents parents. She's very precocious, and discovers that her father was married briefly before he met mer mother, and that this first wife is coming to town. I enjoyed Frederika's voice, and her sometimes snarky take on things (I'm loving that word, snarky lately). There are lots of twists and turns in this little soap opera, and I loved that at the end the author tied it all up with a bow. This is my version of beach reading. Enjoy!

Harold and Kumar Escape - My son and his friend watched this and I heard them laughing and laughing throughout the whole movie. Knowing it would be "inappropriate", inane, low and lower, I watched it that night. Yup. I had it right, and there are some parts that you just want to cover your eyes (the party at their friend's house just after they escape), and others that are so funny they'll stay with you for a long time. (Their party with W). I'm still chuckling, but if you're not into degenerate humor, you might want to skip this one! Here's a link to the Trailer.




No comments: