Tuesday, May 26, 2009

FALL ON YOUR KNEES * WISHFUL DRINKING

Fall on Your Knees - I absolutely lost myself in this novel by Ann-Marie MacDonald. It's about a family, an island in Nova Scotia, cultures, the turn of the century, the depression, secrets and sisters. I wouldn't know where to begin, but each character, no matter how brief their appearance in the novel, is developed into someone you will know fully, whether you like them or not. And the story itself holds out mysteries until the final pages which just might bring you to tears. This book was so wonderful, that at the end, I went back and read the beginning again.

Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher is based on her autobiographical one woman show. I love her humor, and only knew that she'd also written Postcards From The Edge. It turns out that she is the author of 3 more books, all of which I currently have on hold at the library. This is not your mother's Princess Leia. This woman is wise and funny and irreverent and open. No secrets here.

No comments: