Thursday, October 13, 2016

TWILIGHT OVER BURMA * BURMA RIVERS OF FLAVOR

url.jpgTwilight over Burma My Life as a Shan Princess by Inge Sargent - As a college student in Colorado, Austrian Inge Sargent fell in love with a student from Burma. She married him, and when he took her home to his country, she discovered that he was a prince, and that she was to be the new Princess of Hsipaw. Her story is beautiful and she lived an idyllic life until her husband, Sao Kya Seng was swept up in the tragic events of Burma's 20th century history.  

url.jpgBurma Rivers of Flavor by Naomi Duguid - Naomi has explored Burma for many years, concentrating on foods and flavors. Her book is so much more than a cookbook. I've learned about what to wear, how to pronounce letter combinations, and other nuanced information that will enrich my travel experience. For me, an easy travel guide. 

I do have a Burma travel guide in my pile of books, but I'm avoiding it. It will be full of useful guidance, but I find guidebooks to be too much, because one can't see it all. I've come away from trips disappointed that I missed something that I wouldn't have known I missed if I hadn't read the guide. So did I miss it, really? Dance to the guide or dance to my inner spur of the moment? A combination of the two works best for me. 

I just found out that there is a recent movie based on Twilight over Burma. I hope I can track it down and watch it before my trip. We probably won't be visiting that part of the country, but I'd love to see the story come to life. 

No comments: