Sunday, October 9, 2016

SMILE AS THEY BOW

url.jpgSmile as they Bow by Nu Nu Yi - Continuing on with my Burmese reading list, Smile as they Bow is an unusual novel about the yearly Taungbyon Festival near Mandalay. Hordes of people come to the festival to celebrate and pray to the nats, or spirits of the festival, as well as the two Taungbyon brothers, for whom the festival is named. The main character is Daisy Bond, a trans woman who presides over a portion of the festivities by entertaining celebrants and leading processions through the Grand Palace. She was born U Ba Si, but lives as Daisy. Her efficient servant Min Min takes care of her and runs the business of her life. If it sounds complicated, it's because it is. In real life I'd find the whole spirit party festival gambling worshiping thing disconcerting, so it's great to be able to experience it by reading about it, instead of going to it. The author tells the story from the outside as well as the inside of both the named characters' lives as well as the attendees. It's a short but wild ride through an entirely unique experience on the other side of the world.

It's less than two weeks until I travel to Burma. I've started to put aside some clothes to pack and to think about whether I'm checking a larger suitcase or carrying on my smaller one. Not thinking about the long flight at all and haven't thought about anything more than that I want to have reading material at night. It's tempting not to take my phone or ipad but they both provide such entertainment on flights, that I probably will. Each book I read gives me another insight into the country and people, but I know I'll still be surprised in so many ways. Wait, what? not take my phone? It's my camera, so of course I'll take it. That's how long it's been since I've travelled.

No comments: