Friday, October 21, 2016

BAMBOO PEOPLE * TRAVELING TO BURMA

url.jpgBamboo People by Mitali Perkins - (I just realized that I forgot to read the travel guide about Burma.) Bamboo People is about two young boys, one a city boy, one a village boy, now a refugee, caught up in a war they didn't want. It's youth fiction, so it's written with a simple sensitivity about the essential goodness of people. I loved it.   

I leave on my trip tomorrow, and am still a little amazed that it's happening. Going to a whole new place for the first time in such a long time. I'm taking a little break from packing to write this, but have decided to go with the carry on size suitcase. It's a bit of a challenge, but I'll wear and use every thing I take. At least that's the plan. I think I'll post one picture on Instagram each day of whatever was the best or most or representative of that day. So at the end of the trip I'll have 12 memories of the trip forever. If I had a new computer, I'd post them here on herheartonhersleeve, but I don't, so Insta it is. The picture thing is way out of control, but there are pictures galore, so no one will ever have to wonder what I looked like! And with this blog, they won't have to wonder what I did or what I thought. They probably won't care, though. Which is fine. I don't even know if I care! I wonder if I'll ever return to these words to read them again. And how I'll feel if I do. And there you have it, I'm still thinking like a 13 year old. No wonder I like subbing in middle school better than elementary. What do you think, future self?

No comments: