Monday, March 21, 2016

GOOD MOANIN' * THE MARTIAN

Image result for bob talbert good moaninGood Moanin' The Best of Bob Talbert - Bob Talbert was a columnist in the Detroit Free Press from 1968 to his untimely death in 1999. I started reading his column at the top of the Free Press Features page (last inside page of the front section of the paper) probably as soon as he started writing. It was a free wheeling column about Detroit, his family, his southern heritage, current events and random thoughts he called "Out Of My Mind on a Monday Moanin'". I bought this book at Hudsons ages ago, but after I'd moved away from Detroit, read a few columns and put it down. It made its way to our guest room; I thought it might be pleasant reading for guests from home or anyone who wanted to read a short little something before bed. In this latest big purge I put it in my reading pile, and I finally read it with the fondness one has for an old friendship restored. I remember every one of those column photos. These columns reflect so much that has changed in the world as well as so much that hasn't changed at all.One of the biggest moments of my life as an 11 year old was getting my name in his column. He would do this thing where he'd go through the phone book and find unusual names and list them in the column, which I loved. So I went to the phone book and found some more and wrote him a letter with my findings. A couple of weeks later....surprise! there was my name in the paper, in my favorite column! I think I wrote a few more times, and every once in awhile I come across those columns and enjoy reminiscing. I'll never purge those. I wonder where they are now? And who would have ever thought that I'd someday be writing my own column of sorts? Called this blog, but still. Bob would have loved blogging, that's for sure. Thanks for the memories old friend. I just ran across another blog post from another Bob Talbert fan.

Image result for The Martian movie posterThe Martian - Wait, why wasn't Matt Damon voted best actor and The Martian best movie in the white guys 2016 Oscars? Oh, because the academy was out to lunch this year, that's why! I hope that's enough reason for you to watch this entertaining story of a guy who didn't give up in the face of incredible odds. (same theme as The Revenant but with talking and creativity). If not, then you're missing a good one! P.S. Nestled within the pages of Good Moanin' was a piece of scratch paper with my dad's writing on it! It says "Glenview Naval Air Stat. - 657-1000- Store hrs Sunday Open 10-5". So my dad must have been reading the book! He's been gone for almost 18 years, and the Naval Air Station is gone too now, but the memory is sweet. 

No comments: