Sunday, March 20, 2016

EVERYTHING I NEVER TOLD YOU * THE EARLY STORIES OF TRUMAN CAPOTE

Image result for everything I never told youEverything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng - At the halfway mark, I'd decided that I was having enough of this story, then a bit past that, there was a change in narration, and I enjoyed the journey to the end. Not enjoyed exactly; this is more dramatic than hopeful although the author finds a way to include hope in the story of a girl named Lydia. It's about families and parents' dreams for their children and the ways that children are pleasers. 

Image result for early stories of truman capoteThe Early Stories of Truman Capote - Truman Capote wrote these short stories as a young man and it's like a box of candy. Each story is a lovely small treat to read; some take place in the south, others in the city. Some are about adults, others about young people. They are complete little stories and very different, and a young man's passion for writing comes out in each one. I like to think of Capote as this writer rather than the man who exhaustively researched and wrote In Cold Blood which was serious and most unpleasant to read. I actually found In Cold Blood to be rather tortured, and it's a statement on the 1960s that it was such a popular book. Put that one aside and go for the short stories!


No comments: