Saturday, January 16, 2016

STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON * ROOM * THE DANISH GIRL

Baby it's cold outside, and when that happens it's time to stay in and watch movies. Comfort food helps, so yesterday I made a goat cheese souffle and chocolate pudding. Both were wonderful and warmed us right up. The best part of cold weather is the guilt free staying inside.  Image result for straight outta compton posterStraight Outta Compton - My 19 year old son saw it twice the first week and he and I have similar taste in movies, so I knew the story of Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Easy E and NWA would be good. And it was. Their art was the poetry of their rap and reflected how they were treated on a daily basis simply because of the way they looked. What is sad is that this still happens in 2016. Although lyrics that incite can be upsetting, they are protected speech - those lyrics would never have come up if these young men hadn't been constantly harassed and disrespected by the police.

Image result for room movie poster of roomRoom - I liked the book, and the movie brought to life a tough story as told through the eyes of a five year old. I suppose it could have been a Lifetime movie if you want to be critical, but I found it to be easy to watch and heart pounding in the exact same way that the book was. For a different movie, Room is worth seeing.

Image result for the danish girl movie posterThe Danish Girl - This movie is a visual feast. From the sets to the landscapes to the costumes, it was beautiful to watch. The story, it turns out, is an old one - it's about love and self and how just because someone is born with a certain body, how they look may not  correspond with how they feel in their heads and hearts. I found it amazing that at the very end of the movie before you knew what was going to happen, Steve looked at the time, said "it's 12:45, I've got to get to bed", and left the movie! He didn't even care! But I did...I cared about Gerda and Lily.


No comments: