Monday, December 14, 2015

THE STATE WE'RE IN

Image result for the state we're in beattieThe State We're In Maine Stories by Ann Beattie - It's been awhile since I've read short stories, so although the secondary title was Maine Stories, and my last go round with Maine was Olive Kitteridge, I decided to give these a try. So happy I did, because these are modern stories, loosely connected if one is paying attention, and each one is nice to read. If I had time, it would almost be enjoyable to map out the characters to see who was related to who and how, and who knew who and how and when. It would be like putting together one of those logic brain teasers I used to love. But, I don't and I didn't, and I can't really, because as I write this blog in my favorite but most crowded room in the house, the new iron is sputtering because I forgot to unplug it yesterday, papers are unfiled on the desk, and sewing projects both wanted and possibly unwanted are piled up on the chairs and in the closet. Let alone the crochet hooks and yarn calling my name, let alone the beading downstairs that would love to have my attention and creativity, let alone the Christmas cards to be written, addressed, stamped and sent with or without a family photo that I would love to include but probably won't. And that's just the tip of the iceburg! (What does that even mean?) And I'm done here.But I'm not! I wanted to compliment the author on these great stories that start out a little rough because you don't know what's going on yet, but you want to, because you want to be in the book because in the book is where the most enjoyment is. At least for me. So thank you, Ann, I liked it. I'm still wondering if every single one of these 16 stories connect. I think they do, but for a few of them, you'd have to be super vigilant for the clues.  

No comments: