Tuesday, December 1, 2015

OUR SPOONS CAME FROM WOOLWORTHS

Image result for our spoons came from woolworthsOur Spoons Came From Woolworths by Barbara Comyns - This is a wild little old fashioned fairy tale written in 1950 and loosely based on the author's life when she was married to an artist in London and they had no money. Her voice is naive, yet charmingly straightforward. I never liked fairy tales when I was little because of the scary parts, and while others may have found Aurthur Rackham's drawings to be beautiful, I saw them as threatening. What is the purpose of a tale that scares a small child? I didn't read most of the classic fairy tales to my child. This fairy tale isn't scary per se, though it does have some parts that I'm happy to have never experienced. I can't wait to read more by Barbara Comyns.

No comments: