Sunday, August 9, 2015

THE BOSTON GIRL * TRAINWRECK * THE ICE CREAM MAKER

Image result for the boston girlThe Boston Girl by Anita Diamant - This is the best book I've read in ages! I enjoyed reading every word and flew through it in two days. It's about Addie Baum who came from a one room apartment and had to travel up and down three flights of dirty slippery stairs to use the outhouse. It was America in the early 1900s, however, and Addie was able to find her way to women who would be in her corner and lead her to opportunities to improve her life. If you've ever been passionate about any of my favorite books, read The Boston Girl as soon as you can. It's by Anita Diamant who wrote The Red Tent (which was a another favorite.)

Image result for trainwreck movieTrainwreck - And then we have Trainwreck. Opposite in all ways of The Boston Girl in that it's the modern story of a young woman living a wild life of drinking and sex while working for one of the most insane bosses on screen since Ricky Gervais in The Office. And then she falls for a guy. I love when inappropriate is sweet, and Amy Schumer gets it just right from the story to the casting to the dialogue to some really funny scenes.

Image result for the ice cream makerThe Ice Cream Maker  An Inspiring Tale About Making Quality The Key Ingredient In Everything You Do by Subir Chowdhury - One of Peter's professors loaned this to him as summer reading. Of course he hadn't started it, and I found it and read it this morning. The secondary title says it all, and it goes along with who I've always been before I lost my way around here. Which was someone always striving for perfection, and someone who would sweat the small stuff in that perfection pursuit. The pursuit of, and acquiring of quality leads to happiness and success. I'm newly inspired. I'd given up on the notion that the pursuit of perfection was important, but it is, especially to me.

No comments: