Wednesday, April 29, 2015

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS * WORLD'S GREATEST ATHLETE * OLIVE KITTERIDGE

Image result for fault in our stars movieThe Fault In Our Stars - Popular tween book  morphs into a pretty good movie. The story has it all - sick kids, love found, love lost, great parents and a reclusive author who disappoints his number one fan. It's modern day melodrama that tempers the truly sad and hard story with one that you can be angry at so that the sad one won't seem so bad. The picture I chose to depict the movie is from one of my favorite scenes.

Image result for worlds greatest athleteWorld's Greatest Athlete - One of the only track and field movies, the premise is that a young man from Africa can win all the events in the 1973 NCAA Track and Field meet. It was recommended by someone we met in California, I think the guy Steve met while helping some other guys rescue their boat which had gone aground as it was pulling into their slip. It's a silly yet sweet Disney movie abounding with innocence, but only worth the watch if you're a T&F fan. Image result for olive kitteridge movieOlive Kitteridge - I just read my review of the book which I read in 2009, and I'd written that I ended up loving it. Which is ironic, because that's not how I remember it. I was so annoyed with Olive and angry at the author that I wouldn't read her next book and don't think I missed anything. First of all there's cold, blowy and overcast New England as a character. No thanks. Then there's Olive who is dissatisfied with everything and everyone, self diagnosed with depression that she uses as an excuse for being outspoken and unkind to her family and people in her town where she's a teacher and everyone knows everyone else. I have to say Francis McDormand nailed it, and once I started, I had to see the HBO four part mini-series to the end. It was worth the watch on vacation on my iPad. Not on my own home time on TV. That woman, Olive, scares me, and I'm happy to say that I've chosen and succeeded to not have anyone like her in my life.  I was going to put the dinner table scene here, but it has such negative connotations that I won't have it sullying my sweet little blog.

No comments: