Friday, January 30, 2015

LOVERS AT THE CHAMELEON CLUB, PARIS 1932 * THE IMITATION GAME * GOODBYE, COLUMBUS

We've just returned from three weeks spent with my brother's family in Connecticut. It was the best trip with lots of every day family time and we'd probably go back and just live there permanently if we could!

Lovers at the Chameleon Club, Paris 1932 by Francine Prose - This was a perfect choice for being out of town and having things to do every day. Easy to put down and easy to pick back up. Each chapter is told from a different point of view, and I'm not even sure how many points of view there were. Four or five I think. The characters are not particularly likeable, but they are interesting. Lou Villars features prominently in the story, yet at the end of the book, I still had no idea who she was. Which might have been the idea. It's an OK book to pass the time. Just now as I was Googling for the book cover picture, my image search turned up old photos that looked just like some of the characters and situations. So how much of this story is true, how much fiction and how much speculation on truth?

The Imitation Game - This is the movie about Alan Turing, the mathematician  who broke the Nazi's secret codes during World War II. It's a good story with great back story, but as far as it being a great movie, I'm not so sure. Let's not confuse good story with good movie. It's a very brown movie and a good for you movie rather than an entertaining movie. Nuff said, I know I'm in the minority here.  

Goodbye, Columbus by Philip Roth - It turns out that Goodbye, Columbus is a book of short stories, and that Columbus means Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio. Peter read the title story last year as a high school senior, but I wish the class had read some of the other stories which (to me) were much more entertaining and thought provoking. 




No comments: