Saturday, January 3, 2015

CANADA * WINTER BREAK

Canada by Richard Ford - I've only just this minute finished Canada, a long story that mostly happens in the narrator's mind as he climbs back over the events in his life, beginning when he was 15 and suddenly found himself cast adrift in the world because of the actions of his parents. I can't decide whether to recommend it or not. It's a crazy story that could have had a better title. It's very wordy, and although I like the narrator, Dell, I am irritated at all the thoughts that presume what others are thinking and presume why others are acting. Definitely not one of my favorites, but not unforgettable, so might that make it a better book than I'd thought it to be?It's been really wonderful having Peter home from college for winter break. I've always heard that it's stresssful when your kid comes home from school, but in our case it's really good. I love knowing he's here or that when he goes out, he'll soon be on his way home and I'll get to see him. He's like my dad in that he's quiet and thoughtful, and also a minimalist. Yesterday we bought him new shoes for running and every day, and I wanted to buy him an extra pair and some new clothes or anything he wanted. But as usual, he said no thank you, just the Auntie Anne pretzel and lemonade that is our Old Orchard tradition on these shoe buying expeditions. He's out running in the snowy icy weather now, and then he'll fly back to California, and although I'll miss him like crazy, I'll be happy that he's running in beautiful dry weather, and that he never has to dress super warmly to be warm. What's left will be the old worn out running shoes and the old every day shoes (literally with holes in them) that we replaced yesterday. I love love love that boy!

No comments: