Thursday, October 16, 2014

NOT THAT KIND OF GIRL * THE SKELETON TWINS * WE ARE THE MILLERS

Not That Kind Of Girl A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned" by Lena Dunham - If you like the HBO show Girls, you're bound to like this book where Lena shines again in all her truths. It's interesting that self-contained me could identify with free wheeling spirit Lena who goes for it in everything she does, embracing her urges and behaviors for all they're worth. You'll get honesty, laughs, and a small insight into some of the twenty-somethings of the twenty-first century. I loved it.

The Skeleton Twins - Bill Hader and Kristin Wiig as twins, reunited after ten years apart, still figuring out who they are and how they fit into the world. I'm not sure everyone will love it as much as I did, but I did. Valerie would want me to tell you that it's not funny ha-ha, because I think that's what she was expecting. I wasn't, but also I wasn't loving the guy in the theater who hyena laughed obnoxiously throughout.  Especially since at the Tuesday early show there were only a few of us in the theater. It's not that kind of movie. 

 

We Are The Millers - There is almost nothing I can say about this that wouldn't give it away, and I loved not knowing anything about it and having it be new as we watched. If you like those juvenile inappropriate movies with a lot of laughs that manage to be sweet at the same time, don't miss it. It's much better than the reviewers said it would be. It never gets bogged down - it moves fast....the perfect On Demand school/work-night flick.

The Italian Girl by Iris Murdoch - Did even one good book come out of the 1960s? If so, let me know what it was, because unless it was kids' fiction, I don't think there was one. I found the half of this I read to be an example of a truly bad story. Not sure why I wanted to read it: did the author die and have an interesting obituary? did I confuse it with another book of the same name? Was I out of my mind? Whatever. Never again for Iris Murdoch.

A little more about Not That Kind of Girl - I like how the book cover is colored so that That Girl stands out, and I love that "learned" is in quotes. Because really, what do any of us "learn" in our twenties? There wasn't much insight into the bad hair styles or bad clothes that she wears except that she she's a thrift store buyer. It's kind of cool that she stays herself and doesn't turn into one of those Hollywood look-alike girls, but still, I want her to be prettier.  But that's just me. Ultimately I'm glad she stays true to herself.

No comments: