Sunday, August 3, 2014

THE OTHER STORY * ACCEPT NO IMITATORS

The Other Story by Tatiana de Rosnay - I just read my posts about Tatiana's other books, Sarah's Key and A Secret Kept. Both were good, although I remember being caught in wordiness and repetition, which is the case with The Other Story.  It's about a young author who after being a poor struggling tutor, writes a best seller and is now on vacation as an escape from all the women in his life who think that he has been hard at work on his second book.  Of course he hasn't written a word.  He's at a very small and exclusive Italian resort hotel, he's quite impressed with himself and sexts with some woman he briefly met at a book signing.  That's what you get for your first half of the book, and I knew that I didn't like it, but also that I was going to finish it.  At some point, things started to get interesting, and finishing wasn't as bad as starting.  I have no idea whether to recommend this one or not.  Depends.  If you liked Beautiful Ruins (I didn't) you might like this. If you are an avid reader and read read read all the time, why not?  If you are an occasional reader, then don't bother, because there are so many great ones.

Accept No Imitators - Once in awhile I google search herheartonhersleeve, and I never know what I'm going to find.  As long as herheartonhersleeve.blogspot.com is the top search result, I'm fine, and I often have the next few results as well.  When I decided on herheartonhersleeve, I originally wanted something like heart on my sleeve, or my heart on my sleeve or something similar.  I conducted a search, and those names were taken!  Granted, this was a domain name search and a search of the federal records for business names.  HOWEVER, when I saw that the names were taken, (and one of them hadn't been used in forever), I FOUND MYSELF A NEW NAME!  Which turned out to be her heart on her sleeve.  I own the domain name with .com, I have an eBay, Etsy and You Tube identity with those names, and even a facebook page.  So when I see other people posing as her heart on her sleeve with any spelling or use of capital letters or different spacing, let alone the exact same format with lower case lettering and no spacing, it definitely strikes me as wrong and annoying. I know about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery. In this case, I'm not sure these women (for it's always women so far) even know that someone (me) has been her heart on her sleeve for years.  Mine was the first or I wouldn't have used it.  So, please, accept no imitators.  That 27 year old woman with the glasses who has a book list with three books on it?  Forget it.  That other young woman with the blonde bob and the "extra pounds" who is on a dating site?  Nope.  That one with the random blog post guide?  What is that even?  The buxom blonde from Victoria, Canada with no other info except her picture?  Huh?  The scintillating picture on a book entitled Her Heart On Her Sleeve?  Ok, that's kind of fun, but it's from 2011 and doesn't seem to have been a best seller.  Tumblr girl with my name?  She also hasn't posted since 2011.  Oh, and someone is posting videos using herheartonhersleeve at some random video site. Why didn't you find your own unique and original name? 
Thanks for letting me rant.  I'm done. It's a free country after all. Even Canada.

No comments: