Monday, December 30, 2013

AMERICAN HUSTLE * THE OBITUARY WRITER * BRIDGET JONES MAD ABOUT THE BOY

American Hustle - From start to finish, my favorite movie of the year so far. I forgot about my Saturday rule which is to never see movies on Saturday because the theater is too crowded, so I got there, the place was packed and peopled, but I still got an aisle seat row two in the area off the floor where you come in, and the minute this movie started, it didn't matter.  Except for the audience reactions at the beginning which annoyed me.  So after that, I was fine, and lost in the movie.  It's sharp, edgy, maybe a little fun, and you just want to know what happens next. 
The Obituary Writer by Ann Hood - This novel hits two of my favorite genres - a little San Francisco story, and a story that bridges two lives over two time periods. It's got a bit of mystery and a lot of heart.  I read it in Florida a week ago, and have already forgotten the more modern woman's story, but know that overall I enjoyed everything about reading this book, especially the story of the obituary writer.    Bridget Jones Mad About The Boy by Helen Fielding - This book finds Bridget in greatly changed circumstances from when we last read about her.  She's still got her loyal friends, and we learn that she is a very resilient woman, indeed.  If you've always enjoyed Bridget, then you won't mind growing with her, if not, this may not be your favorite read, so I recommend starting with Bridget Jones' Diary, and if you like that, then you might like this.  


No comments: