Wednesday, May 1, 2013

THE GILDER * GELATO * VEEP

The Gilder by Kathryn Kay -  This is a nicely written novel about Marina, single mom of a 15 year old daughter who wants to know more about her father.  It takes us back to Marina's early 20s when she moved to Florence Italy to learn to be a gilder.  I wish it had included a map of Florence, because since I read late at night, I was too lazy to pull one up online or actually find my paper map.  It's a great book for anyone who has a special connection to that city.  Because she mentions so many of the churches, squares, streets and neighborhoods, have the map in hand first, so you can trace Marina, Thomas and Sarah's steps as you read the book.  When Via dei Neri was mentioned near the end, I thought about that fabulous gelato place in the middle of that street, with the chocolate rum hazelnut flavor that was out of this world.  I think I paired it with a black licorice flavor.  Bellissimo!

Gelateria dei Neri - When we returned from Florence in September 2009, there were a few opinion pieces on the Gelato of Florence, mostly touting the larger slicker gelato places in the touristy areas.  There was nothing about the Geleteria dei Neri which I had identified as the best gelato of the trip.  I found my gelato post which was tacked on to the post about shopping for Linens in Florence, (this is one of my most read posts ever) but I wrote it before I had tried the Gelateria dei Neri.  Funny, I mention that I'm going to be going back to it, though.  I of course, did go back, either wrote about it or not (I can't quite figure that out - it might be a labeling issue).  However, now it even has a Facebook page! 

VEEP - This HBO series is in it's second season, and it's not only my favorite half hour show, but also the funniest thing on TV.  I know, I know, it's not TV, it's HBO.  Julia absolutely nails it.  There's no more to say.  Just watch it.  If you like comedy.  You never know what she's going to say or do next.  Everything about this show is just funny, although just now in Season 2, Episode 3, near the end, there was a little twist.  Selena is human after all. 





No comments: