Monday, May 13, 2013

I, RHODA * SURVIVOR

I, Rhoda A Memoir by Valerie Harper - Valerie Harper is the actress who played Mary Richards' friend and neighbor Rhoda Morgenstern on The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  As she quotes her friend Nicole Barth on the original three female characters on the show, "Mary is who you wish you were.  Rhoda is who you probably are.  And Phyllis is who you're afraid you'll become".    The book is an autobiography of Valerie's life, and it's as sweet as can be.  She went on to star in her own sitcom and to act in countless TV movies and shows.  She seems to be a genuinely lovely person, and someone you'd like to have as a friend.  I love a Hollywood book as much as the next person, but this one is too nice to be typical.  Which is refreshing.  So if you're a fan, read and enjoy.   
Survivor - After 13 years, one of my favorite TV shows is still Survivor.  I never miss it, and on last night's finale, one of my absolute favorite Survivors won the million bucks.  Cochran had previously played as a Harvard Law School student and ultimate Survivor fan.  He didn't last long that season - he was unseasoned - and by his own description, nerdy and insecure.  This time around, still a bit self-deprecating, but more self aware, he played a masterful game.  He was up against some powerful favorites and group of hard core fans.  He's now 26 years old and knows who he is and was able to play the game with intelligence and, in a crazy way, kindness.  He rarely put anyone down, but didn't shy away from giving his opinions.  It was a great season and the ultimate fan played as a favorite and won.  Perfect.  
The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout - No.  Just no. In a minute I was annoyed by the characters, the things they thought and said and everything about what the story was going to be.  I was annoyed by Olive Kitteridge for the same reasons but finished it.  This time I wasn't going to waste my time.  No.  

No comments: