Monday, May 6, 2013

COURABETHES



Courabethes - These are Steve's favorite cookies.  His Yia Yia used to send him a shoebox of them at college, and Steve would unwrap his shoebox, sit down and eat the entire box.  I make them from my grandmother's recipe.  My tweak is to make them very small.  Bite size so that you can pop one in your mouth without getting powdered sugar all over everything.  Very neat.  
Here's the recipe.  I can just hear my grandmother saying that the reason you put whiskey in them is to cut the sweetness.  And she'd make a cutting motion with her right index finger across her left index finger.  

                                         Sophia's Courabethes

1/2 pound Sweet Butter   (Unsalted)
1 1/2 teaspoons Crisco  (shortening)
1 small beaten egg yolk
1/2 jigger whiskey
6 Tablespoons Confectioner's Sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
2 - 2 1/2 cups Flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Cream the butter and Crisco.  Add whiskey, egg yolk, vanilla, sugar and baking powder.  
Gradually sift in the flour until you have a soft dough.  Don't overbeat, but combine well.  
Form dough into 1" balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Flatten slightly.  
Bake 15-20 minutes until the bottoms are lightly browned. 
Cool and sift confectioner's sugar over the tops.
Enjoy!  

This is the first post I've written from my iPad.  I wanted to post a picture of the cookies, but there doesn't seem to be a convenient way to do so, so I'll have to add it later.  To see a picture now, go to my Pinterest page.  It's under Greek Stuff.  This link might get you there:   http://pinterest.com/pin/535787686889247949/

No comments: