Monday, February 18, 2013

RULES OF CIVILITY * TO ROME WITH LOVE

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles - This is one of those books that I didn't want to put down, but that I had to put down, because I didn't want the story to end.  The events take place in the late 1930s, in New York City and it's like revisiting all my favorite F. Scott Fitzgerald novels only better, since it's new.  It's quintessential New York with the people, places and struggles that could only have taken place during the depression when people were either at the top or engaged in a day to day struggle and living hand to mouth.  I'm always impressed when a male writer writes from a woman's point of view, and Amor Towles does it admirably. 

To Rome With Love - The perfect Valentine's Day movie!  Classic Woody Allen with almost all the men playing the Woody role.   I was riveted to the story and laughed and enjoyed Woody and how he always delivers.  Who doesn't like a clever story of modern day angst set in a beautiful city? I've never been to Rome, and have never had a particular desire to visit, but after watching this valentine to the Eternal City, I must say it does tempt.  A delightful movie with love stories and silliness and Alec Baldwin as conscience. 

No comments: