Saturday, February 2, 2013

PITCH PERFECT * THE EXPATS

Pitch Perfect - A fun bit of fluff about college and finding your place and an a capella competition.  It's pretty light and never quite gets off the ground.  The girls are OK, and they must not  have been able to find good looking guys who sing a capella, but otherwise, everyone is musically talented and the routines are enjoyable.  The cover is sort of fake for what the movie actually looks like.  It's really hard to beat Glee.   The Glee people have this genre wrapped up.  

    The Expats by Chris Pavone - This is a spy mystery story, but it could have been a long short story.  I was able to read it mostly by reading the first sentence in each paragraph.  Because the rest of any given paragraph was filler!   Chris Pavone has a good plot, but the way he executes it is burdened with unnecessary words and comments.  The plot did twist and turn, and I did like our protagonist, Kate, but I feel like Chris Pavone just cranked it out.  My friend Sue loved this and recommended it to me, so if you're a fan of mysteries, you might love it too.  I admit to reading out of my current zone on this one. 

No comments: