Saturday, February 2, 2013

MARLEY * BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD

No wonder I'm not getting anything accomplished.  But when awards night rolls around, I'll be ready.  

Marley - Take all your big Hollywood manufactured awards movies, and give me this.  Marley is the story of reggae composer and singer Bob Marley's short full life as remembered and told by some of the people who were closest to him.  Life is often better than fiction, and Robert Nesta Marley's life is no exception.  He was a gentle soul about love and living his life on his own terms.  It's a very moving story.   

 

Beasts of the Southern Wild - I had to watch it twice since the first night Steve wasn't ready to watch until 10:30.  You know what happened there.  By 11:15, he had gone up to bed, and I was doze-watching.  I decided to fast-forward watch it the next night.  But a funny thing happened.  I started watching the beginning in real time, and each minute of the movie was so good that I watched the entire movie in real time and it was excellent.  It's the story of a little American girl named Hushpuppy and the place and the people who are shaping her life.  It's a very moving and emotional story about people who only want to live life on their own terms.  Which you can say about everyone, but not really, after watching Beasts.  Hushpuppy is a unique and compelling little girl; you watch the movie for Hushpuppy, but ultimately it's the entire story that resonates. 

No comments: