Friday, April 13, 2012

EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer - I've always loved novels that are narrated by precocious children, and this is no exception. It is narrated by an 11 year old New Yorker, Oscar Schell, whose life is complicated by his incessant thoughts and creativity, and sometimes hindered by his lack of emotion. Then something big happens in his life, and he can't wrap his mind around it, and has to come up with a way to understand his changed world. There is a modern existentialist bent to this story that is quite appealing. It's a very fresh read in between the themes, and I found it to be a rather wild ride.

This week I am continuing my whole house purge. Yesterday I got Steve to give me almost the entire day in the basement, and it looks much better. Today I am going through my closets. Last night I read a few online posts about clothes purging, and it helped. I am trying on every single thing, and looking at myself in the mirror, and if it doesn't look great, then goodbye and good riddance. My driveway sale clothes customers will love me this year! All I have to do is decide which things to throw on the table rather than on the hanging rack. I think the table offerings sell better and for more. Maybe two tables. One for the things I would have put on the table anyway, and the other for the things I would have put on the rack. OK, back to work. After I get rid of 5 or 10 more things (I'm in the guestroom closet which I had turned into the dressy closet a couple of years ago), I'll do my next post.

No comments: