Sunday, October 2, 2011

THE CATCHER IN THE RYE

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger - "If a body catch a body, comin' through the rye". Iconic. This was my favorite book for most of my life. At a time when I'm reading so many wonderful and enriching stories, to revisit Holden Caulfield is like coming home. My copy of the book is the same one that Aunt Lu sent me when I was 11 years old, and it's literally in pieces, and I'd tucked J.D. Salinger's obituary into the front cover last year. It's still brilliant, and the honesty that Holden craves in the world resonates as much as it ever did. Peter is reading this for English class, and he likes it.

When I first read it, it was like Holden was talking to me. He was like the cool big brother I craved. He knew himself really well, and he was honest, and he liked kids and understood them. He was fearless and had adventures. He was his own man.

This is my book. I'll have it always.


No comments: