Sunday, October 2, 2011

BILL CUNNINGHAM NEW YORK * THE HOUSE AT RIVERTON


Bill Cunningham New York - One of the best movie documentaries I've ever seen. Bill Cunningham is the fellow who photographs and writes the On The Street column for the New York Times. I'm listening to the Velvet Underground's I'll Be Your Mirror as I write this, trying to think of words that could do justice to this film about a man who has been able to spend his life following his passion, answering to no one. He smiles all the time, and there is a kindness and humility in his eyes that will make you wish that you knew him. It will make you want to read the Sunday Times, and it will make you want to dress in amazing creative ways. Mostly it will leave you with a good feeling about the world and the people in it. The booklet inserted in the DVD package is worth the read and the extra scenes on the DVD are as well.

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton - Kate did it to me again! Once into this novel about Grace Bradley, in service to the Hartford family at Riverton House, I was hooked. Then the 1920s came along, and there was just enough about the fashions, decor and Jazz Age goings on that I couldn't put it down until I saw it through. Which I did this morning. Never mind that there are so many unfinished threads around here, that it's a beautiful sunny day outside, I was at Riverton today.



No comments: