Wednesday, September 14, 2011

ONE DAY

One Day by David Nicholls - I finally read my first eBook, and I'm sorry to say that it was a less than satisfying way to read a book. I read it on my new iPad, using the library's Overdrive app, which allows one to check books out of the library for 3 weeks. On the iPad with Overdrive, the pages turn by tapping on the screen, rather than with that cool turn the page look that you sometimes see. There are a few brightness settings for the screen, none of which was ever great, but I will say that the words were clear and easy to read. Holding the iPad is a pain, because I like to read on my side in bed, and the screen kept turning to horozontal while I was trying to read it vertically. See the cover art on that book? It shows a dark haired girl, but in the book, Emma had light hair. (I'm pretty sure). Each chapter follows two characters on July 15 of each year for 20 years from the 1980s to the 2000s. Dex is a handsome partyer , and Emma is a lovely but plain earnest girl who loves to write. They are English and the book is written with a decidedly British voice and accent. It's an OK book, one that I would have loved when I was in my 20s. I can't wait to turn the pages of a real book tonight!

No comments: