Monday, September 26, 2011

127 HOURS * THE LONLINESS OF THE LONG DISTANCE RUNNER

127 Hours - This movie is a modern day Reader's Digest Drama in Real Life and although the filmmakers made it as edgy as possible, I didn't have fun watching it. James Franco stars in this true story about an adventurous canyoneer who gets himself in serious trouble. You know that he is going to make it, but you don't want to know (and see) how he does it. But you watch. I'm glad I saw it, because Franco was great, I didn't know the details of Aaron's story, and the music and flashbacks were so well done. So... well done.


The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - This 1962 English film was based on a story by Alan Sillitoe, which I will read soon, and which no doubt I will enjoy more than the movie. It's about a boy from a poor family who ends up in reform school. While there, it becomes known that he is a great runner, so the headmaster pins all his hopes on the boy to win the Cross Country race that the reform school is going to have in an athletic day against the local Public (Private) school. Peter wouldn't watch it based on the title, but once I heard the title, I had to see it. Film noir for runners.

No comments: