Saturday, September 24, 2011

FRENCH LESSONS * CLOSET INTERVENTION BEFORE & AFTER

French Lessons by Ellen Sussman - This book is divided into three short stories about three French tutors in Paris, who give French Lessons to adults. I didn't love it, because it starts out with a really nice tutor whose student is a young woman who had an affair with a married man. The whole story tries to justify the affair by the man saying that he loves his wife and will never leave her, and that he is a "good man". Please. The next two stories are better, but it was too late for the book for me.

Today is a rainy Saturday, so I am going to go through my closet and real
ly pare it down to the things I wear. It's divided into sections by season and then by type of garment. I also share this closet with my son, since it's in his room. He has about 10" of hanging space, and I want him to have more than that, because as things are now, his closet is on the end of his bed:
on top of his dresser:
and behind his doors:

Oh, no, the sun is coming out. If that happens I might be derailed. If not, though, here are the before pictures for my closet:

I know that it doesn't look so bad from here, but in Jeff Lewis' closet (he's on the reality show Flipping Out on Bravo), Zoila has to make sure that each hanger is exactly 3/4" apart. I've got all new beautiful hangers from my Auntie Kaye's closet - they are silver metal and look gorgeous. I'm so happy to be done with the fabric hangers and plastic hangers I'd had for years. The fabric hangers took up too much space and the bows on them would come undone making them look messy, and the plastic hangers, well, they didn't look as good as these metal ones. I sold a bag of the old hangers at my yard sale last spring. Today I'm going to make a pile of clothes for next spring's yard sale.

It's 2 hours and 20 minutes later, and my closet is so much better! I didn't really finish the job which would entail switching out sandals for winter shoes and bringing all the winter sweaters down a shelf, but I did streamline the whole operation and find room for more of Peter's things. I found a few rogue hangers, and realized that in addition to the metal hangers, I had three sets of the new slim line hangers. I was able to get all my summer clothes on either metal or beige slimlines, and was able to take out a set of brown slimlines that will go into Steve's closet, replacing many of his p
lastic hangers. There is a small pile of things to sell, and a small pile that I'll save for other projects and inspiration. If I get into a purging mood, I have a good idea of exactly what will go next. For now, though, I can work with this. I even found all the white tee shirts that I was missing! (They were in my summer clothes drawer, but now at least a few of them are in the closet on hangers and ready to wear.) I also found the B. Makowsky purse I carried last year, and took pictures of it, and am going to post it to Craigslist right now.
Here are my after pictures:
As soon as I treat myself to the 12 games of Scrabble that await me on Facebook, I'll have some cherries and Fage yoghurt. Doesn't that sound yummy?

No comments: