Friday, April 22, 2011

MY PASSION FOR DESIGN

My Passion for Design by Barbra Streisand - First I saw Barbra on Oprah, and she was pretty cool, so I checked out the book thinking I'd look at the pictures and take it back right away. Turns out, this reads like a journal of the years that Barbra put into creating a certain world on her oceanfront property in California. She is a passionate artist, and her perfectionism touched and inspired me. I still don't love the particular style of the homes, but I loved reading Barbra's decorating back story. She loves to decorate her homes, and has a specific philosophy and rules that she follows to get those rooms looking fabulous.
My favorite quote from Barbra is about how male and female perfectionists are perceived, especially by men who work for them.

"A man is commanding, a woman is demanding, a man is forceful, a woman is pushy, a man is a perfectionist, a woman is a pain in the ass. It's so unfair!"

Barbra also decorates in mostly monochromatic schemes, and she dresses to match and compliment her interiors. I LOVE this. The monochromatic schemes are peaceful and calming, ensuring a warm and inviting home for oneself and one's guests. (That last part was me - I used to decorate this way, and as I redo my home, I'm going back to it). I've got a long way to go, but have started on Peter's room, and progress is afoot.

No comments: