Sunday, July 26, 2009

CARTOONS & COMICS * OREO FUDGEES


I've always loved to read the comics, and cartoons in general. A cartoonist is an author who tells a complete small story with a single picture and caption. Can you imagine?
Cartoon Marriage-Adventures in Love and Matrimony by The New Yorker's Cartooning Couple - by Liza Donnelly and Michael Maslin - These cartoons cover every inch of marriage. Here's a good one: the picture is of a couple at a table for two in a restaurant; she's saying "Remember when we first met and I was still finding myself and you were still finding yourself and you said you found yourself when you found me and I said I found myself when I found you? I lied."

Although I read the Chicago Tribune every day, I enjoy it less and less as the ye
ars go by. Even my beloved comic pages have been hijacked. I miss Gasoline Alley, Hi and Lois, Beetle Baily and the Lockhorns. Some of my other favorites are in the other local newspaper, so I won't bemoan those, since I could read them if I wanted to. It's also possible to read most daily comics online, but there's nothing like the feel and sight of words on paper. A screen with all its clarity and brightness just doesn't compare. Brenda Starr, Cathy, Doonesbury, Bondie, Zits, and a few others are like old friends or family who are there for me every day.

Speaking of Chocolaty New Foods, I recently discovered two new Oreo flavors on the shelves. Fudge Sundae Cremes give you a half and half creme layer in vanilla and chocolate. They are a little too sweet somehow and don't begin to compare to the Triple Chocolate Oreos I scored in Puerto Vallarta a few months ago. So quickly finished those up and forgot that I had also purchased the new Oreo Fudgees, until Peter asked why I put chocolate Oreos on his snack shelf. (He likes regular Oreos exclusively). These Oreo Fudgees are just too good. They've got a great new oval shape, which allows the Oreo people to give you only two rows of cookies rather than three, but makes them "perfectly dunkable". It's important also to note that a double chocolate sandwich cookie which has been missing from the marketplace ever since Keebler discontinued their Double Fudge Sandwich Cookies. There's that Canadian version I discovered a while back, and they are delicious, but the flavor is just not quite there. Oreo Fudgees are a stand alone snack, or you can compliment them with a glass of milk for the dunkability. Do these look good or what?

No comments: