Friday, November 21, 2008

TWO MOVIES AND A PLAY

August Rush: This is the best movie I've seen in ages. August Rush has it all, and it's a movie for everyone. It's about this boy who hears the music. That's all I'll tell. Just see it and you won't be sorry. It's all there...good story, watchable actors and performances, music, all the emotions down and up. I give it my highest recommendation.

Atonement: With a title like "Atonement", this movie could have been about almost anything. It won some awards at the Oscars a few years ago, so I was excited to finally fire up the DVR and watch the show. All I knew going in was the blurb I read just before it started. Something along the lines of "a 13 year old accuses her sister's lover of a crime". OK, so that doesn't sound too promising, but in light of the awards, etc, I gave it a chance and watched the whole thing. It's very average, not the best story and I never came to care about the characters, although the accused lover seemed to be a great guy.
Save your time and watch August Rush instead!

Grey Gardens: I'd seen the documentary, and was fascinated in a voyeuristic way by the two Edies. Which I guess is how everyone is fascinated if they like and want to get this story. What could it possibly be like as a musical performed on the stage? If you like the story, then it could be great! The musical is in two acts, and act l takes us back to the hey days of Grey Gardens, and provides the background for what we eventually see in the documentary and Act II. Most of the audience was not familiar with this obscure bit of popular culture, but it didn't seem to matter. I think everyone enjoyed it.
Marvelous. I thought I'd type in Grey, just to honor Grey Gardens.


No comments: