Monday, November 10, 2008

GETTING IT ALL DONE

So I've been sewing! I took a class in pattern drafting, which is where you learn how to make your own pattern fit to your body's measurements...this is the basis for making custom clothing. My grandmother knew how to do this, and made beautiful clothes, although by the time I was ready to learn her skills, she had lost most of her vision, and was no longer able to sew. She would crochet afghans using thick yarn and large crochet hooks. She created for as long as she was able.
The class proceeded very very slowly for someone who already knew how to sew. (me). In that class, by the time I had a complete muslin skirt pattern, it would have cost more than $1000!. Yes, I said $1000. I had taken the class with a friend, and she and I decided to teach our selves the rest of what we n
eeded to know in order to draft our custom patterns. I'm pleased to say that after just a few more weeks of getting together and measuring, cutting, fitting and sewing, today we will each have a gorgeous skirt that fits like a dream!

Here's a little pop of color. These flowers were centerpieces at a lovely and fun wedding we recently attended. Don't they make you smile?

The Crowd Sounds Happy A Story of Love, Madness and Baseball by Nicholas Dawidoff - This is the memior of Nick, who grew up in the 1970s in New Haven, Connecticut. It's a great title, and the book honors that title with his story of life as the child of a single mom and somewhat functional mentally ill father. His love of baseball saw him through.

No comments: