Monday, December 19, 2016

MISS BENNETT: CHRISTMAS AT PEMBERLY * DETROIT HUSTLE * HAMILTON

url.jpgMiss Bennett: Christmas at Pemberly - Since I won't be home for Christmas this year, I hoped to get into the spirit of the season by going to see this charming play. It was quite fun, although I'm sure that the serious Miss Bennett and the equally serious Mr. de Bourgh mighn't think so. They meet by chance in the library at Pemberly where Elizabeth Darcy, Mary Bennett's sister, has set up a live tree, which no one can understand. Delightful!

url.jpgDetroit Hustle A Memoir of Love, Life & Home by Amy Haimerl - My hometown has changed so much over the years. Detroit Hustle is the author's story of choosing to move to a new city with her husband as a young pioneers of sorts. Their new city has a troubled past, but young people from all over the country are going there to forge their lives on difficult streets. As the story develops, Detroit becomes home. 

url.jpgHamilton - What a lovely treat! I was fortunate to see Hamilton with my best friends and my goddaughter. I knew I would love it; the music and lyrics are so compelling and modern in the telling of the life of Alexander Hamilton, one of America's first revolutionaries and patriots. I think he may be rolling over in his grave to see what has happened in his America this past year. He backed the Electoral College based on principles that are no longer in effect, and the same goes for the second amendment. Were he alive today, analyzing and writing about current issues, he would be so pleased to see that his nationalist policies are in place, but he'd be distraught to see how many of those policies have been used to put our country in great debt. This musical biography was fabulous.

No comments: