Wednesday, September 2, 2015

BLUE PLATE SPECIAL * HOOT

Image result for blue plate special frances norris coverBlue Plate Special A Novel of Love, Loss, and Food by Frances Norris - It's been three or four days since I finished this book, and all I remember about it is that it wasn't about a 1950's diner and that at some point the narrator's voice started annoying me. I may not have finished it if my luggage had arrived along with our plane to LAX on a Saturday morning. I didn't get the suitcase (and the other books I'd brought to read) until late Tuesday. So I read... A recently orphaned 34 year old woman who doesn't like her job as a food photographer for a free lifestyle/food magazine, finds her way in the world. The cover is sweet, the title is good, but after that build-up....eh.

Image result for hoot hiaasen coverHoot by Carl Hiaasen - At the elementary school library where I sometimes substitute, this is a well-worn, often checked out book. It's an easy read for 3rd - 6th grade readers about a new boy in middle school trying to make the best of things. The larger story is about an environmental issue in Florida, which I was happy to learn more about since encountering it when I was in Marco Island for the first time last winter.  It's a sweet little read.

No comments: