Monday, December 1, 2014

LIKE NO OTHER * THE PRINCE OF LOS COCUYOS * THE LIAR'S WIFE * LITTLE WOMEN * 22 JUMP STREET

Like No Other by Una LaMarche - This love story about a chance meeting between Devorah and Jaxon and the relationship that follows is thought provoking and maddening all at the same time. It's technically middle school reading, but I found it to be a pleasure because the characters and their families were both sweet and realistic.

The Prince of Los Cocuyos by Richard Blanco - Read this next. Richard is the fifth inaugural poet of the United States, and this memoir is about growing up in a big Cuban family in Miami, Florida. The writing is conversational and approachable, and I loved reading every page of this book. Richard's descriptions bring the characters and places to life, whether happy or sad, easy or difficult. I'm smiling just writing this because the book was that good.
  
 

 
The Liar's Wife by Mary Gordon - This is four "novellas" that the critics loved. Not so this critic. The first one is overwritten and pretentious. 
The second one is curious and weird in a 1940s kind of way. The third and fourth ones are small town so not as pretentious, but
still annoying. That's the best I can do, and don't ask why I continued to read. I don't know.  
(Well, maybe because I was still thinking about Los Cocuyos and wanted to keep the beauty of that book in my mind before it was replaced by the next beautiful book which is why I kept on reading the non beautiful one.)

Little Women The Broadway Musical - Nancy L. and met on a freezing cold night to see this play at Northwestern and we loved it. Some of the details in the story were different from what I remembered of all the times I read it when I was younger, but it was a lovely musical and totally engaging. The March sisters and their home are brought to life in all their American simplicity and complication.  

22 Jump Street - It was as fun and funny to watch as the first one. This time our heroes go to college to unearth a drug ring. It was filmed on the Tulane campus, so we actually had fun looking for our friend George T, who was an extra in the movie and appeared in one of the over the top fraternity scenes.  Once again, if you like juvenile humor with heart, then Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum will be highly entertaining.  

No comments: