Thursday, July 18, 2013

NOSE DOWN, EYES UP * LITTLE KNOWN FACTS * THE TIGER'S WIFE

 I've been out of town for a month, visiting my mom in Florida and Detroit, and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to blog from an iPad.  I was reading the entire time, though. 

Nose Down, Eyes Up by Merrill Markoe - I do love a book that takes place in Southern California, and it seems that I am enjoying the thinking talking dog genre lately, too.  This is a fun read about a contractor with a bunch of problems and four dogs with distinct personalities and with whom he communicates.  One dog is super smart, one is like a three year old and the other two I don't remember!   The book is amusing and could be a different kind of a beach read than your usual mystery or chic lit fare.  

Little Known Facts by Christine Sneed - Why was this book even on one of my lists?  Was it on a list or did I like the idea of a cover with a swimming pool?  As I wrote in the other two places where I write even shorter thumbnail reviews than I do here, Sneed writes like Danielle Steel.  Repetitive, and in the characters' heads all the time.  This was like a Danielle book but without the great life tragedy.  It's about a famous 50 or 60 something movie star and his family and the women he dates.  I kept waiting for something to happen but it never really did.  The book doesn't deserve the title;  it can have the cover.  

The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht - Here's another one I didn't like.  This one is all over the place as a good book to read.  It's about a grandfather and a granddaughter and a tiger and the grandfather when he was a boy, and some stories about jerky village people and being behind the iron curtain, and nothing ever happens, so I thought it might be going existentialist, but it never did that either.  At least not for me.  

No comments: