Tuesday, March 12, 2013

CYNDI LAUPER A MEMOIR

Cyndi Lauper A Memoir by Cyndi Lauper with Jancee Dunn - I just finished it this morning, came into my office and saw that last night was the book discussion about this at the Rock House in Wilmette!  I usually don't go to the discussions, and wasn't going to go to this one, but I kind of liked reading Cyndi's book, and I would have gone after all.  Oh well, as Cyndi says, shoulda coulda woulda.  I need her to be my personal coach!  I've liked Cyndi ever since Girls Just Want to Have Fun....her style, her voice, her words.  Her music videos were among the first in the early 1980s, and I also loved Time After Time and True Colors.  She's great.  Then she fell off my radar until she was on Celebrity Apprentice.  It was wild to watch.  She comes across as ditzy and some of the other contestants tried to eat her alive.  She held her own, though, and made the show fun to watch, if not maddening because she is a creative spirit, not always practical, but able to get a job done.  She was that girl in school who looked different and wasn't the smartest in the class but was always doing something interesting.  I had friends like her in school and they were the best, because they were up for anything without having to think about it.  It's refreshing, but you need a lot of energy.  And nerves of steel.  And a passion that will not be denied.  Cyndi goes up against the "big guys" and she stands up for what she believes in.  Her work on behalf of the LGBT community is born out of love for her fellow human beings as well as her believe in equality and fair treatment for all.  Thank you Cyndi!

No comments: