Sunday, February 12, 2012

IS EVERYONE HANGING OUT WITHOUT ME?

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (and other concerns) by Mindy Kaling - I just now read this book in one day because it's due and I didn't want to pay 10 cents a day while I'm out of town when I knew it would be a quick read. Or, more importantly, and it makes it a quicker read, a quick and very funny read. Mindy's book is as funny as Chelsea's, and maybe a little bit funnier than Tina's. She has this conversational way of talking that's smart and funny and assumes you're in the club with her, which is the not as cool as some clubs, but not the lowest club, either. The pictures of Mindy as a little girl are hilarious, and she comes across as a nice person, much nicer than her alter ego on The Office, Kelly Kapour. She even compares herself to Kelly in the book. She went to Dartmouth, and she has some great advice for guys that helps them know what girls will love. She kept me laughing so that I couldn't put it down.

I'm off again to Southern California, one of the best places in the world. Beautiful weather, everyone happy and nice, not cold all the time, good donuts on every corner. I'll try to take more pictures and to blog from there, although I haven't figured out how to get an ipad photo over to my blog. Somehow there isn't a similar browse function on the iPad. My Apple loving and knowing Sister in Law Susan will be with me, though, so I'm hoping that she'll know or be able to figure it out patiently, which I can't do. I take to the party my incredible skills at packing and organizing and emptying out a house for Steve's wonderful Aunt Kay who is making a brave move to a new place in assisted living near Susan.

Kay is super fun, cool and blonde with a great figure because she loves to go to the gym and exercise. She has a couple of pairs of khakis where she looks like she's twenty years old from behind. We tried on everything in her considerable closets while I was there last time, and I got to be her stylist. I styled her to look fabulous and get dates if she wants them. I was so motivated to get in shape like Kay, that I actually put the P90X dvd in our dvd player last night. I didn't watch it, but it was an impressive step in the right direction. Here are Kay's main looks: All black with wide silver mesh belt and lots of silver jewelry. Khakis with tight print tops. She also took some old lady-ish things which she could wear to serious events, but why she'd ever want to when she looks so great in the styled outfits is beyond me. The Old Lady look was a camel colored pleated skirt past her knees and boxy blazer. Also some plain blouses with ruffles. I wish I'd taken her picture in all the outfits, but these were long days with little sleep, and I totally forgot. She would never have taken the old lady stuff if she'd seen the comparison on a screen. Oh well, maybe I'll have to take another trip out there when she moves!

No comments: