Monday, March 28, 2011

UNION ATLANTIC

Union Atlantic by Adam Haslett - Sorry, no. First of all I chose this book based on the blurb on the back of the book that said it was about a woman who hears her two dogs speaking to her in the voices of Cotton Mather and Malcom X. I was going for an unusual story that would stretch my imagination and knowledge. Instead I got some kind of second rate banking disaster "thriller" that wasn't at all thrilling, but more like a text book set against some supposedly selfish real life characters. I have no idea why I kept reading this book! But, as my mom would say..."it's done, it's over, It's done." Ya gotta admit the cover is kind of pretty, too.
But guess what? When I just searched for the cover art for this book, I saw that there were other covers, NONE of which would have caused
me to pick up this book. I'm usually good at ferreting out phony stuff and reading between the lines, but sometimes they get you, and this time they did! Rest in peace, Charlotte, you liberal tree hugging dog hearer, you. Let's look at those other covers:

No comments: