Sunday, June 22, 2008

ARTIST IN RESIDENCE - AT HOME

This post is Happy and Orange because last Thursday was such a fun and inspiring day. Aunt Lu was taking her neice to Ragdale, an artists' retreat in Lake Forest, Illinois, and they invited me to join them for lunch at Convito and the drive up to Ragdale.
Our al fresco lunch was wonderful with a friend of many many years, and a brand new friend, the food was yummy and we laughed and told stories and caught up and got to know each other. Then we took the scenic drive up Sheridan Road to Lake Forest. Turning into the Ragdale driveway, I was struck by the serenity of the natural gardens, open spaces and old fashioned buildings.
So...how does one get to be a Resident Artist? You go to a place, and all you do for two weeks is to create your art in solitude and simplicity. This sounds really really good!
I couldn't stop thinking about it. I decided that for the next two weeks I am going to be an Artist in Residence right here at home. It's starting tomorrow. I might even turn off the computer. Might even not answer the phone. Might even not read the newspaper. There will be no rules. What I am determined to do is create some things. Out of what is already right here. While listening to my newfound favorite tunes by Leonard Cohen.



No comments: