Sunday, October 18, 2015

THE SECRET LIFE OF HENRY FORD * METV FM

Image result for THE SECRET LIFE OF HENRY FORDThe Secret Life of Henry Ford by John Cote Dahlinger as told to Frances Spatz Leighton - I don't remember ever knowing about the existence of this book let alone the story of a man who was Henry Ford's son by a woman who was close to Ford and his wife Clara. When I saw mention of it on the Clara B. Ford (one of my grade schools) Facebook page, I had to read it. What I did know was that there was a deserted and "haunted house" down a hill and in the woods behind my first elementary school, River Oaks in Dearborn Heights, Michigan. The story went that the dark house belonged to old Mrs. Dillinger and that her scary son also came and went from there. It turns out that the woman was Evangeline Dahlinger, and her son was none other than the author of this book. In 1978, John was in his 50s and decided to face his history and clear the air as it were. If you've ever had any curiosity or fascination with Henry Ford, this is another side of his story as told by someone who knew him as intimately as it was possible to know him.  
John Dahlinger turned out to be a nice guy, born of a strange privilege who grew up wealthy during the Great Depression and at one point owned Cliff Bells and Act IV, restaurants that my aunt and uncle used to frequent, and for which I might still have matchbook covers. Uncle Bob loved telling stories, and I'm sure he had some from boozy nights in those establishments. But I digress big time, so I'll close once more by saying the book is good!

For the past few months I've been listening to a new favorite radio station called MeTV FM on 87.7 FM in Chicago. It plays any old music from the late 1950s to the early 1980s, with an emphasis on 1970s pop music. Modern day easy listening with no commercials although they are sneaking in with some announcing in between sets and playing a little too much Fleetwood Mac. Right now I'm listening to Take A Letter, Maria. Not for everyone, but I'm happy! It's so refreshing not to have to deal with personalities, but to just turn on the radio and get music. Thank you MeTV!

No comments: